Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: Automotive Sound Deadener Showdown

  1. #11
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Looks like that product is ~the same price as the Grainger coating. Wonder if the "microspheres" are the same as we add to fiberglass?

    In studying the history of damping compounds, and subsequent patents, it appeared that while the mica based products yielded the best damping/weight, some later "knockoffs" used metal particles (machine shop sweepings?) for lower cost.

    I guess the HD constrained layer we use just isn't "aesthetic" enough for many users. It's sure the cheapest/easiest. Makes me wonder how much of the appearance issues often pinned on WAF/SAF are really their fault... forums

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Dunno,when I was doing fiberglass construction/repair there were no filler additives AFAIK unless you're referring to the so-called plastic filler used at the time.

    Don't know about knock-offs, but us racers used the plant's metal shop grinding dust for a variety of apps. The grinders got first choice of course, with other plant workers getting the best stuff before the 'enemy' (us salaried office workers), so never could get the SS and iron dust without $$$ changing hands.

    I never heard of SAF/WAF until I joined the net and email based audio BBs, so I guess I'm in a dramatically different social 'circle' than the typical audio DIYer.

    GM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.